The Occupational Therapists in the Hand Centre at CORE specialize in treating patients with conditions affecting the hands and upper extremity. The therapistís high level of specialization requires continuing education and advanced certification. Treatment programs offered in the Hand Centre at CORE include both preventative and conservative programs as well as rehabilitation programs following surgery.
Preventative, Non-Operative, or Conservative treatment programs include:
Postoperative Programs Include:
- Management of acute or chronic pain
- Desensitization following nerve injury or trauma
- Sensory re-education after nerve injury
- Design and implementation of exercise programs to increase motion, dexterity and/or strength
- Splint fabrication for prevention or correction of injury
- Training in the performance of daily life skills through adapted methods and equipment
- Conditioning prior to returning the work.
- Tendon and/or Nerve Repair
- Management of open or sutured wounds (prevention of infection and assistance in healing)
- Control of hypertrophic (raised and/or swollen) or hypersensitive scars
- Reduction in swelling
- Return to work program