FRAUD/ABUSE AND INJURY COSTS
- “at risk” employees who have significant pre-existing impairmentser to improve employability.
- Injury in the workplace by appropriately matching employees’ abilities to their job responsibilities
- Fraud and abuse through the use of scientific consistency” checks” post injury.
In 1986 , WorkSTEPS, a company committed to the success of industry and the protection of the workforce, was formed to create a reliable , medically and legally defensible employment testing program which could effectively reduce workplace injury incidence and workplace injury costs.
COST CONTAINMENT THROUGH JOB ANALYSIS & EMPLOYMENT TESTING
The workSTEPS comprehensive job analysis and employment testing program provides the continuum necessary to effectively reduce workplace injury incidence and injury costs through:
- detection of “at risk” employees who have significant pre-existing impairments
- prevention of injury in the workplace by appropriately matching employees’ abilities to their job responsibilities
- intervention at the inception of injury to effectively rehab workers and minimize lost work days and
- elimination of fraud through the use of scientific consistency “checks” post injury
The University Of Massachusetts recently reported that 10% of existing employees are not physically capable of performing their job tasks. This 10% also accounts for 75% of the costs associated with workplace injuries. Information collected during Work STEPS testing identifies individuals who are at risk for injury and prevents an employer from placing or retaining them in job positions they aren’t physically capable of performing.
HOW DO WE ACCOMPLISH THIS?
Work STEPS offers a series of ADA complaint employment tests that are both scientific and objective. These tests establish baseline information on employees and help insure that they are appropriately matched to the physical demands of their jobs. Information collected during these tests is invaluable to employers in both hiring and post injury management of workplace injury.
Work STEPS EMPLOYMENT TESTING PROGRAM
- Identifies individuals who do not meet job specific strengths
- Appropriately matches current and new employees to the physical demands of their job
- Provides employers with capable/not capable recommendations
- Helps prevent employee injuries
- Substantiates legitimate injuries and disqualifies fraudulent claims
- Reduces employee turnover
- Expedites injured employees return to work
WHAT CAN YOU AS AN EMPLOYER EXPECT FROM Work STEPS?
The Work STEPS Program is a proven method of reducing costs associated with workplace injuries. Many employers currently utilizing the Work STEPS Program are reporting an average reduction of 50% of their previous year’s work injury costs, and some companies have achieved savings of as high as 80%.
By preventing one carpal tunnel surgery , one back injury and one fraudulent claim a year, an employer could save as much as $84,000 in medical expenses and $275,000 in other related costs. That savings alone could finance over 4,000 employment
Work STEPS is one of the nation’s largest providers of standardized medical/functional employment testing. We currently test for hundreds of major employers throughout the United States and are rapidly expanding.
In addition to the direct costs saving realized through reductions in workplace injury incidence and direct and indirect injury costs, employers minimize their future liability associated with pre-existing employee impairments.
Work STEPS has a history of litigation successes. Data generated by the WorkSTEPS Testing Program has been used to successfully litigate workplace injury claims for employers. In its first court case , an employee seeking $1.2 million in compensation received an injury award of ONLY $22,000 for actual medical services that brought him back to his pre-injury status. The decision was based on data collected during WorkSTEPS Employment test that revealed a pre-existing impairment.
In a recent precedent –setting case , a Texas Chief Appeals Judge rendered a decision that ordered impairment and supplemental income benefits to be reduced by 40% based solely upon Work STEPS documentation of a pre-existing impairment. It was the first time an impairment rating was reduced based on data collected through employment testing.
Work STEPS employs in-house legal counsel to answer employer questions regarding employment testing and ADA /employment law issues.